The United States of Postal Services is abbreviated as USPS. It tenders the tracking facility to its customer i.e. the track packages and usually known as USPS Tracking. As we are living in 21st century or say our existence in the modern world we need to keep an eye check on each and every activities and process and most importantly when it’s about our ordered packages with using the services of USPS, it gets much easier to get the fastest and latest update of the placed order. You may be knowing that tracking is an end to end process i.e. starting from the order when it got booked to the end when it gets delivered to you after completing all the steps of the process of it, you need to keep your eyes from starting to the end of any order.
Before using any USPS services it is a most important thing to know every detail that u need to know about. There are various ways through which you can easily get the latest update and can also easily get location of your packages i.e. you can track your orders. There are many ways and methods to be followed while checking upon your tracked package offered by the national mail carrier, USPS but before that let us know and first discuss what tracking actually is and how it works?
What is USPS Tracking and How it Works?
Tracking simply means the mechanism that provides end- to end tracking status of any mail item. There is no need to put any extraordinary efforts to get this mechanism done right because let me know you it automatically includes with your domestic shipping of the products. If you may have heard the name of Commercial Mail parcels, you must know that it doesn’t include the tracking facility because they are not like the domestic shipping parcels and hence do not include tracking facilities. But don’t worry! Because you may get and make work this facility just by paying some extra fee and then it will work as an extra service but there is one more problem related with it and i.e. it doesn’t provide any guarantee for the delivery. USPS tracking service may be made using compatible service by adding the international products with the signature of the recipient as the evidence of delivery.
And after discussing this I want to ask you, do you know how this tracking mechanism works? If you know then it’s pretty much good it not then let me discuss it with you. It is not a hard and fast thing it is just a simple process. The post offices and their staff and workers can make any item traceable.
In this technological world, it is not a big thing to track any technology based items. You just need to be updated about all these things. And for that tracking they assign a tracking number to almost every item that are being ordered and received by them. That item is scanned several times from the acceptance of the mailed order. The U.S postal service also update its mechanism by scanning the mailed items almost 11 times so that an appropriate and accurate location of the mailed item can be traced during the process to get benefit from the door to door tracking by just sitting in home patiently.
What is USPS Number?
as we have discussed earlier, When you have placed an order, the post office workers assign a number to that order and the number known to be as USPS tracking number. It may be called as article number and it is basically of 22 digits. And one important thing to notice is that different services have different types of tracking numbers.
For your convenience, I may give you some examples of USPS tracking number so that it would be easy for you to know it in a better way.
|Service||Sample Tracking Number|
|USPS Tracking||9400 1000 0000 0000 0000 00|
|Priority mail||9205 5000 0000 0000 0000 00|
|Certified Mail||9407 3000 0000 0000 0000 00|
|Collect on Delivery Hold For Pickup||9303 3000 0000 0000 0000 00|
|Priority Mail Express International||EC 000 000 000 US|
|Priority Mail Express||9270 1000 0000 0000 0000 00
EA 000 000 000 US
|Global Express Guaranteed||82 000 000 00|
|Priority Mail International||CP 000 000 000 US|
|Registered Mail||9208 8000 0000 0000 0000 00|
|Signature Confirmation||9202 1000 0000 0000 0000 00|
The above given are some of the tracking numbers displayed as an example for you. And one thing to be remembered that not all USPS postage provide the facility of tracking and you are required to know that which postage provides it so that if you buy any product online you must be sure about it. Make sure that any of the following postage should be included in the parcel:
- Collect on Delivery
- Certified Mail
- USPS Tracking
- Registered Mail
- Global Express Guaranteed
- Priority Mail
- Signature Confirmation
So it is important to check whether any of the above postages are with your product or not, if it is present then you can easily track the mailed item and if not present then you may not be able to get the tracking number. But the tracking facility can be added by paying extra amount.
At this instant, you need to know that where can you find this tracking number.
Let us know where the tracking number can be found?
- You can find it from the main site of USPS (USPS.com), if you have shipped it from the main site of it, and then it should be in your inbox of email.
- It should be on your sales receipt, if you have bought the insurance at the post office.
- It can be on your post office shipping receipt also.
- The confirmation email sent by the online retailer also includes it.
- It may be found on the peel-off portion i.e. the tracking label.
- And in case you have missed the USPS delivery, then it will be on the backside of the orange slip.
And once you get the tracking number it will be very trouble-free to track any mailed item that has been shipped through USPS.
How to Track USPS Packages
There are a number of ways or methods through which you can get the latest update and the processing of the mailed item.
Some methods given below may prove best to track any USPS package:
- Online at USPS.COM
USPS tracks its update through its official website and it is the first of all methods to track any USPS package mailed item. As USPS doesn’t provide tracking for all kind of shipment like domestic first class mail and media mail. As we have discussed earlier these kinds of things require extra fee for that. Another thing that you may consider is it doesn’t consider all shipments equally. The detailed information of only expensive shipment is provided.
To track your package online you need to follow some steps. So first you have to find out your tracking number and places where you can find these are discussed above.
Step 1: Visit USPS.com
You first have to visit the official website of the USPS and i.e. usps.com.
Step2: Select the Tracking Option
After going through the first step you will find options to track your shipment. Firstly you have to enter your tracking number in the blank space on home page, Secondly you have to select the ‘Track Package’ option which lies under Quick Tools Category and lastly you have to select ‘Tracking’ option under Track and manage category.
Step3: Enter Tracking Numbers
Enter your tracking numbers now and you can enter only unto 35 tracking numbers with having commas between them.
Step4: Hit Track Button
The update will be shown, after entering tracking numbers just click on the track button.
After processing all the above steps you will get some information about your shipment:
-Updated delivery day
– Postal Product
– Status of item
– Date & Time
- View Tracking Info via RSS
RSS reader can also be used by you for the tracking of the packages through USPS tracking. Follow some steps to create your unique RSS Feed:
Step1: Get the Tracking Number
First you have to find out who is transporting the Shipment and get the tracking number.
Step2: Open the RSS reader
find the way to open RSS Reader and subscribe to an RSS feed by URL.
Step3: Now Create Tracking URL
Create Tracking URL by adding the tracking numbers.
Step4: Subscribe with RSS Reader
Subscribe with RSS reader of your own choice.
Step5: Copy and Paste the URL into the RSS reader
Now the mailed item can be tracked easily
- USPS Tracking Phone Number: Nowadays all the facilities are available over the phone like it USPS package facility can also be obtained by way of Phone calls. You have to call on the number given below:
You need to call on the given number and the customer care service representatives will help you to locate your shipment. You have to provide your tracking number in order to get the mailed item tracked and then they will give you the last update of your shipment. It is a very easy process i.e. you just have to cal on this number and you will receive the information regarding the location. You just have to take care of one thing and that is the working hours:
- Monday to Friday: 8.00 a.m.- 8.30 p.m. (ET)
- Saturday: 8.00 a.m. – 6.00 p.m. (ET)
- Sundays closed
- Official Holidays: Closed
- Track by File Transmission
If only you are a certified shipper then file transmission will be helpful in tracking the shipment. A certified user is the one who has used certified mail while placing the order USPS sends the data electronically though file transmission easily and the certified mail tracking will be done.
- Track packages through mails
As you know in every field of online transaction there is the need for the e-mail id. So it get easier to get you updated with every activity. There are three types of updates that can be seen if its method has been followed:
- Get only the information that is available at the time of the request.
- Get all the notification about every single update, available at the time of request and coming ones.
- Get all the mail item updates as the item goes through mail stream.
The customer requires the tracking number on USPS.com shipping account. In order top get the email notification do the following steps:
Step1: Go to the USPS official website and fill the blank with tracking number.
Step2: Click on “GET MAIL UPDATES”
Step3: Now follow the easy prompts to set up the notification option according to your preference.
And now you will get the email notifications related to the shipment of your mailed item.
When does will email update Stop?
The USPS email notification will automatically stop within two weeks of the delivery of the product.
And if you are not getting any updates for your tracking then you might face any reasons from the below-discussed ones, let us check what are they?
- It may be probable that there are no new updates to be shown.
- It may happen that junk mail filter is enabled by default and then check the filter and ensure that the email updates are received.
- Wrong email address can also be one of the reasons behind not receiving any notifications through emails.
USPS Tracking Mobile App:
Mobile apps are nowadays one of the fastest growing things because mobile phones are basically used by each and every person and it the easiest way to operate in the apps. Like any other app USPS also have their app known as USPS tracking mobile app. It provides a mobile application for androids and ios as well.
For example: Customers can do anything using this app like buying of stamps, finding locations of the ordered product, online shipping, pickups, hold mail and many other things.
As you may know this all the application for the Android users are being found on the Google play store and for iPhone users it has its Apple App store.
- By USPS Text Tracking:
Text tracking is one of the finest things one can get because it works without internet. So in case you don’t have any wifi facility or your data pack you can get track of the shipment through the text messages from USPS. For this mechanism you can follow it in two ways:
- From the USPS site:
On the website you may have to elect any one of the below options:
- Bring up to date the notification of delivery of the shipped product.
- All the past activities.
- All the future activities.
- All past and future activities.
- from the Phone:
- You need to send a message along with your tracking number to 28777 (2USPS), and in reply you expect the most recent update of your mailed item.
- Send a text with the tracking number and the keyword to 2877777 (2USPS). There are specific keywords which will help you to know about every information of the postal services.
You must be getting confuse that what is the difference between the two notifications discussed above!
So let us discuss that too.
Te basic difference is that when u want to send a text from your mobile phone Then USPS will only inform you the latest update of your item but if you have to know some extra information then you have to send an extra message for that additional information. You have also the option to get the past and future activities of any package. They also give the notification about the successful delivery of the product.
How to use the Keywords?
There are so many keywords used along with the package to be used as conjunction. One more point is that these keywords are not case sensitive. And if you want to get the listing of definition to your mobile then you have to send a message “KEYWORD” as in written text to 28777 (2USPS).
|AA||It is the future and past activity of the package|
|AF||It is the future activity only written on the package|
|AP||The activity done previously on the package|
|Date||It means the available delivery date updated or guaranteed delivery date|
|DND||It implies the notifications of the delivery date|
|Stop||By this we can stop receiving texts of the tracking|
|Update||The date of updated delivery is shown|
|When||The expected date of updated delivery date|
How to Request Quiet Time:
As sometimes we don’t want to get the updated notifications. In order to stop getting this during off (hours you need to send “Quiet” as a text to 28777 (2USPS). And you will get back a message from USPS that “USPS Text Tracking, Quiet Time Enabled.” And then USPS will not send any update to you between 11 PM and 7 am. The services will automatically start again at 7 am.
And if you want to eradicate Quite time then send “Awake’ as text to 28777, then USPS Text Tracking, Quiet Time Disabled.’
Further Information on USPS Text Tracking:
These are some information that you need to be aware of.
- The USPS tracking on text is only available for US based mobile numbers. But from 2015 onwards it also has been added for the Canadian based mobile numbers also.
- Suppose you want to stop the text notification from USPS You just have to send “STOP” , “ARRET”, “UNSUBCSRIBE”, “CANCEL, or “QUIET” to 28777 (2USPS). And after this you will stop getting any text notification on your mobile phones.
- USPS may ask to register yourself there but it is not a mandatory task. If you are interested you can and if not then you may not participate.
Therefore, the USPS.com tracking and its working is discussed with you and it is the method used mostly by everyone you just have to do some simple things and you can get the tracking of your products package from any part of the world.
Adding Advanced Tracking and Confirmation:
Some advanced confirmation of tracking can be done by following some ways so that you can get easy delivery update.
- Signature Confirmation: Signature of the recipient i.e. whose name on the order has been delivered should be requested by the delivery boy. In case the recipient is not present at home the parcel should be taken back to the post office and the receiver must be informed about that. A copy of signature can also be obtained with an extra charge of $3.0
- Add the Return Receipt: Return receipt can also be requested through emails. It can cost you $1.35 if you want to receive information through emails. Pickups and address will be present in that email.
- Hold on to Receipt: The tracking number is being present on the receipt so it is not any hard and fast work to get detailed tracking about these kind of items as they can be get detailed after the successful delivery of the product.
- Visit the USPS.com: This is the main website of the USPS and all the process can be done through here. You just have to enter into your tracking details there and start tracking your mailed items.
- Delivery Confirmation: This confirmation is necessary and will be given to you as per your convenience i.e. via emails and text messages on your phone number also.
USPS Tracking Costs
Every service comes with some cost so as USPS also. This is the frequently asked question by many people that what cost they will have to pay by using this postal service. So let me tell you that it doesn’t cost u a single coinage. As these are automatically added on to your product cost. You don’t have to pay extra for this process. But yes there are some products on which it is added externally and you will have to pay for them on the products which are not included in it. As it depend on both domestic and international products and services.
USPS. Com Tracking Updates
As we have discussed above that why tracking plays a crucial role when you are purchasing something online. You need proper details about your product from where it has been ordered and from where it is coming via which routes and tracks. To get updated you with this USPS has some advanced tracking facilities. There are progress bars which make you relate how far your product has come whether it is packed and shipped yet or not There are some progress bars shown by them let us know about their meanings to understand that clearly.
- “PRE-SHIPMNT”- This shows that your parcel information has been delivered to the Postal service but not yet get in through process with USPS.
- “ACCEPTED”- Now after the pre-shipment this indicated that the parcel has been accepted physically by Postal Services.
- “IN-TRANSIT” – This part shows that your item has been moved on to transport and it is on the final move to its destination
- “ALERT”- If this kind of thing you see while tracking that means you may get some serious issues or the delay in the item for delivery. You can get help from USPS Contact this number- 1-800-ASK-USPS to know the status of the item.
- “DELIVERED”- You can simply know that this means that your product has been handed over to you by the delivery boy.
- “STATUS NOT AVAILABLE” – This may show you when you have entered some wring information i.e. like your tracking number. Suppose if you have entered wrong details of your tracking number or incorrect one the information will not be available on USPS package tracking.
USPS Tracking FAQ
What if you lose USPS Tracking Number?
As you are being told that tracking number is the most important for tracking any package through USPS. If in case you have lost it you have to suffer more time in delivery of the product and had to do some extra formalities in order to get the delivery on time. It is the most asked question that if they lost tracking number than what will be the consequences.
Let us discuss about that. So you have to go to your local post office and ask them about your product information. You must know that USPS tracking doesn’t maintain a record of tracking numbers. The number is only available on the receipt of the package. You may have to wait some time like 3-4 weeks for international mailed items. At the post office they will need some information like your name, time of order etc. And after that also if they are unable to track the package one can file a claim also.
Can You Track The Items Mailed From Foreign Countries?
No. It is a big No. You cannot track the items which are being mailed from the foreign countries. There are only two mail classes which can track product internationally and that are Global Express Guaranteed, and Priority Mail Express.
USPS Tracking Not Updating
It may happen sometime that you are not getting any update of your package since you have ordered it. There may be problems in scanning or the shipping carriers may not have scanned it properly. In order to get the tracking information of your package you need to wait for 2-3 business days and still it is not updating then you have to call on the number given below i.e.
Call on this and ask about your queries and if no one hears keep hitting the “0” button, someone will definitely receive and then you start saying your tracking problem. Either they will track it down at that time or if not they will contact you back to you within 24-480 hours.
Can You Track First Class Mail?
No, it is not possible to track the first class mail as we have discussed earlier that it requires some extra stuffs like signature confirmation and additional services etc. These are not accessible for the first class mails. So you need to wait for 7 business days and then contact on USPS customer service number i.e. 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-87777) and give your grievance. And they are bound to return your mail. They will find it and follow up.
How Long USPS Keep Record of Tracking and Confirmation of Delivery?
For your prior information let me tell you that United States of Postal Services do not keep the records of delivery of the product and tracking for much time. Only for a limited time period they keep the records. As i have told you it depends on the class of services provided and opts by you. You always have to pay some extra charges for some extra services.
- USPS keeps the record of tracking for 120 days or say 4 months only regardless of the fact that USPS priority Mail tracking and Registered post tracking.
- USPS keeps the record up to 2 years for the Certified Mail service, Priority mail express service, registered Mail service and Numbered International Mail Service
- USPS keeps the record up to 3 years for Adult Signature Restricted Delivery Mail.
- USPS keeps the records up to 1 year for the signature confirmation.
Here I am summing up my article with my concluding words: In the above article I have discussed about the USPS tracking services in detailed information. I hope that it will help you in number of ways whenever you need to get any information about it. You also get to know about the additional services which are acquired by paying some extra charges. Various tracking methods and its types and mechanism for the detailed track of your mailed item. But always know that every kind of tracking is different and are not similar in nature.